Checked on the condition of your asphalt roof lately? GAF sent me these tips for an early winter inspection. — M. Weber
Is your roof ready for Santa and his sleigh? Our homes’ first measure of protection against rain and snow is the roof. New Jersey based GAF, North America’s largest Roofing Manufacturer, has six key roof tips designed to help every home owner.
1. Start off by checking the roof framing structure to make sure it is not compromised. Visually scan the roof for any sagging or uneven areas.
2. Inspect the gutter systems to make sure they are not clogged with branches, leaves, or other debris.
3. Make sure that gutters are fastened properly and are tight and secure so that they don’t cause overflow and build-up or fall off the fascia board.
4. Check the valleys of the roof to ensure that they are also free and clear of debris that can add weight to the roof and also act as a barrier to rain and snow.
5. Metal flashing should also be used around roof vents, pipes, skylights, and chimneys. One of the most common causes for roofing leaks is due to problems with flashing.
6. Walk around to carefully inspect the shingles on the roof – look for curling edges, missing granules, etc.
Learn more at www.gaf.com.